Light-colored marks commonly occur on wood floors in the form of white rings. The main cause is water that’s either cold (condensed) or hot (steam). When you have white marks on your hardwood floor, what can you do to get rid of them?
To remove white water stains on wood floors, sand the water-damaged area with a fine-grit sandpaper to clear the spot and then refinish with wood oil. Alternatively, bleach out the water spot with a weak hydrogen peroxide solution or baking soda. You may need to replace the plank with a new one if the damage is extensive.
Ensure you use the right tools and no bleaching and cleaning agent residue is left on the floor.
What causes white spots on hardwood floors?
- Stagnant liquid spills (medicines, perfumes, alcohol, and juice) when not mopped in time ends up being trapped under the finish forming white or grayish spots on your hardwood flooring.
- White streaks or spots may also form due to the wrong cleaning technique and cleaning products.
- Placing hot items like iron boxes, pizza boxes, and hot pans can cause white marks on your wooden floor.
- Many homeowners apply a polyurethane coat on their wooden floors to increase resistance to stain-damage. Polyurethane is prone to wear and tear of the top thin layer making them susceptible to stain damage.
When you already have this problem, what can you do to remove the white marks?
There are a few ways to fix white marks on wood as well as ways to prevent and protect your wood surface from stains.
Here’s a guide on the methods you can use to restore the wood finish without permanent damage:
How to fix water damaged wood?
You can simply fix the white rings on wood with hydrogen peroxide, mayonnaise, and mineral spirit. Removing white stain from oak and other wood leaves the floor well rejuvenated. The deep white scuff marks on hardwood can be cleared by wiping out the spill on the wood surface immediately when they happen.
Freshly made stains rarely soak very deep and are easy to clean and get rid of out of the wood surface. Old stains usually soak very deep in the wood such as dark water streaks and pet urine stain making them very difficult or almost impossible to fully get rid of.
Fortunately, here are some procedures to get rid of white spots on the hardwood floors.
Clear the stains with a fine sandpaper
Stains are usually surface discolorations that you may get rid of with nothing more than just a light scraping or rubbing with an abrasive pad or fine sandpaper.
Always take this step before reaching for more serious cleaning solutions and stain remover products that may be dangerous for kids and pets.
Clean the marks with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a good stain remover for both white and black stains on wooden floors. Here’s how to remove stubborn white streaks on your flooring with hydrogen peroxide:
- Measure a small amount of hydrogen peroxide and pour it in a plastic basin or plastic container.
- Cut a piece of cotton wool or use soft microfiber. Soak it in the hydrogen peroxide
- Place the soaked cloth or cotton wool on the white marks and allow it to soak in the wood to completely bleach the stain out.
- Remove the soaked cloth after about 4-6 minutes and wipe up any excess hydrogen peroxide with a dry clean cloth. Pat it dry or allow it to air dry.
However, will hydrogen peroxide damage hardwood floors? Hydrogen peroxide is a very effective cleaning product, safe for kids, pets, and wood surfaces if used correctly. It will leave your wood surface looking new and sanitized with anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties.
The bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide removes surface dirt as well as stubborn pet dirt and urine marks, and mud. Therefore, it can restore the appearance of wood floors.
However, unnecessarily strong hydrogen peroxide formula may whiten the dark finish of your floor.
Here is a video on how to remove pet urine with hydrogen peroxide.
Use mineral spirit
Mineral spirit can remove and destroy any floor wax and finish. Be careful not to apply a lot of it on the stains and the surrounding areas.
When used correctly, it will clear white spots on hardwood floors.
Here’s the procedure to help you get rid of white streaks on wooden floors using mineral spirit:
- Add some amount of mineral spirit on a spray bottle. Spray the whites stained spots.
- Gently scrub thoroughly with non-abrasive pad or cloth over the white spots.
- Allow it to settle for about 4-6minutes, before rubbing the excess mineral spirit liquid.
- Give it some time to air dry.
Mayonnaise is made from a mixture of eggs, vinegar, oil, and lemon juice. You can use mayonnaise to remove water stains from wood? Its ingredients can help clear out white water stain in your wood flooring and furniture, leaving it shined with oil.
White water stains will still happen even with utmost care, but you can get rid of them with the use of mayonnaise. Here’s how:
- Dab a bit of mayonnaise on a clean piece of cloth.
- Gently smear the mayonnaise to cover the stain.
- Allow it to sit on the stain for at least one 1 hr or overnight.
- Reapply the mayonnaise if the initial one dries up.
- Clean up the stain with a clean cloth.
- Polish the area with good furniture oil.
Note that mayonnaise is a non-destructive method that may be used with other methods I’ve discussed above to remove black water stains.
However, for deep white spots, neither hydrogen peroxide nor mineral spirit can remove them completely. So, consider sanding and refinishing the affected area.
Use baking soda
Baking soda is a good stain remover for ink stains on wood flooring. Follow the following steps to remove white ink stains on your wood surface.
- Mix baking soda and water to form a paste.
- Spread the paste over the stained area.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Blot up the paste with a damp cloth.
In case the ink didn’t get out to repeat the process until the ink stain is removed.
Apply heat on the spots
Heat can actually get rid of the white marks on the wood floor, not just causing them. Both an iron box or a hairdryer can be used to provide the needed heat.
For use of the hairdryer method,
- Get a piece of cloth.
- Use the lowest heat setting and direct the hot air on the white marks on the wood surface.
- Keep the hairdryer moving over the white stained area until they disappear.
For use of the iron method
- Pour any water that is inside the iron.
- Take pice of cloth and place it over the stain.
- Pick the iron box and set in on the lowest heat setting. Run it over the piece of cloth for a short time as you lift it up to check the appearance of the white mark.
- Repeat the ironing process if necessary to completely get rid of the white marks on your wood floor.
Some stains are very difficult or almost impossible to fully get rid of. Fortunately, the following ways can help prevent stains on your wood floor.
- Always clean or mop any liquid spill as soon as it happens.
- Use recommended cleaning products for the hardwood floor. Choose the best vacuum cleaner, best hardwood mop for hardwood floor.
- Get the best rug to protect the moisture susceptible areas.
- Consider getting or putting furniture leg pads.
- Always do damp mopping and completely avoid wet mopping.
- Avoid placing hot items on the wooden floor surface.
- Occasionally, check the molds and mildew formation as well as remove them immediately as they are realized.
Ways To Prevent Water Rings Marks
The best way to prevent black stains on your floor is to immediately wipe any liquid spillage, while it’s still wet. Regular daily cleaning and maintenance is the best secret you can always bear in mind. Consider if the flooring is waterproof? or say like ways of making laminate waterproof.
Pet mess may be something hard to prevent especially for young ones, it is a common culprit for black stains. It would be easy to remove it right away before it penetrates deep into the flooring.
Aged stains will require a lot of effort and cost to remove them depending on how far they have penetrated on your floor. Black stains with rings around are the toughest to remove since they usually affect even the wood from underneath.
Regular cleaning with the right tools, dry mops, and vacuum machines may also go along way in reducing the cost of removing ingrained stains on the floor. Consider daily sweeping or vacuuming to remove dust and lose particle that may starch your floor. Take Weekly mopping with your best mop as you avoid wet mopping or water pooling on the wood surface.