Mold happens to be one of the uninvited guests, which can appear even in one of the cleanest areas. It commonly pops-up in the ceiling, toilet, bathroom, shower, basement, kitchen, laundry room, and other areas prone to dampness and water accumulation in walls and floors. Black mold is dangerous, more so to the allergy sufferers, young and elderly, and those with respiratory issues.
Getting rid of mold spores invasion is essentials in maintaining a healthy home for you and the family. You can get rid of black mold with natural products in your kitchen; white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil. First, find the source of dampness, prepare your floor mold stained area, get the black mold removal tools ready to embark on rid of black mold and mildew stains.
Table of Contents
How to remove black mold?
For effective black mold removal in your basement, shower walls and floor follow the following steps.
Identify the source of moisture-dampness
Getting rid of the black mold is very important, however, you must identify its cause. Identify the areas on your floor that are wet and smell musty. Mold is usually noticeable in your house, and certainly, the black mold will have a burning or scratching sensation in your throat.
Identifying the source addresses the problem and helps prevent the recurrence of black mold on your bathroom walls and floor. Ensure you rectify the problem before embarking on the mold removal process.
The main sources of water moisture include;
- Damaged or leaking pipes– pipes are prone to rust, expansion-contraction; thus, they may cause water leakage. Poorly done piping may also contribute to water leakages on your dry walls or floor.
- Flooding- in the current times of global warming, flooding may happen in areas that might have never happened. However, if you have just bought a house, your basement may have flooded at some point, even due to water leakages or accidentally taps left open. This may provide an optimal condition for mildew and mold growth.
- Sink, shower, and bathtub faucets and fixtures-leaks around these areas can encourage black mold growth over time.
- Humidity and temperature (moisture content): if there are no water leakages in your house, you may have to test your house for moisture content. Moisture content, especially in the basement can cause mold on walls and floors. Spray the mold spores water to prevent being airborne and improve your house ventilation. You may opt to be opening windows during sunny days for better aeration.
Tip: Black mold can be easily be identified by its dark-greenish/black/gray-color, slimy texture, and its growth that appears as spots or patches that spread with time.
Get your removal tools ready
Black mold is dangerous, and you need to put your protective gear ready. Dealing with black mold, you will need to wear a respirator for protecting you against inhaling toxic mold spores. Wear a long-sleeved apron and long pants to protect your skin. Wear safety goggles and have rubber gloves for black mold removal; they will also protect your hand when working with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide products.
Other black mold removal tools you may require depending on the area infested with black mold: drywall saw, paintbrush, safety glasses/ goggles, scrub brush, Shop vacuum, utility knife, and a window fan.
Get ready with a mold-fighting solution: There are plenty of readily available non-toxic agents to use to fight mold; vinegar, tea tree oil, borax, baking soda, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and grapefruit seed extract. These products are often considered the most effective non-toxic products to disinfect and deodorize the mold-infested area.
Tip: As a safety measure, put on N-95or P-100 respirator, goggle, and maybe old clothes and shoes you can discard. To control the spores, moisten the moldy infested areas. For a mold, carpet-area rug considers removing it outside.
Prepare the area
Once you have identified the mold-infested area and its source, it would be good to remove any obstacle/ objects that might hinder the black mold removal process. The flashlight would help to inspect the dark corners and crannies. Follow the musty scent to ensure you mark the area correctly.
Put on the safety gear to avoid any negative impacts of mold spores to your health.
Put the mold mitigation solution in a spray bottle and shake well. Spay the affected area until well saturated. Allow the solution to settle for about 10 minutes before you start working on it.
Treat the black mold stained area
You can opt for commercial mold and mold remover or natural products. Below are some natural products for black mold remover. Here are various effective ways to get rid of black mold.
- Vinegar has antibacterial acidic characteristics, with a natural ability to get rid of back mold on the wood surface.
- Hydrogen peroxide: it has anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. It can help eliminate mold in the shower and prevent black mold growth on walls and basements. Mix one part of hydrogen peroxide with 2 parts of water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the mold area and allow it to settle for about 10-15 minutes before scrubbing with a brush. Wipe dry the area with a dry towel or microfiber.
- Treetop oil; Its a natural fungicide and a safer option for black mold removal and keeping spiders away from your house. Mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil with a cup of water(you can increase the ratio appropriately). Please put it in a spray bottle and shake it well before applying on the mold spots. Allow it to settle for an hour before dry mopping with a dry towel or microfiber.
- Baking soda; it’s effective in absorbing and preventing mold and mildew growth and odor. Make a paste of 1:1 of baking soda with water and apply on lighter mold stains. Use a brush to scrape out the mold and mild stains. Mix 1teaspoon with a cup of water and spray on the just cleaned area before you pat it dry with a dry towel.
- Other products, Lemon juice, grapefruit seed extract, may also be used.
Repair and Clean up the area
At times the floor; wood and carpet may be permanently damaged and require to be changed or discarded. Completely remove the mold stain-damaged planks or carpet and replace it to fit in the left space.
After completely getting rid of mold-infested planks and carpet, vacuum cleans the area off the left debris. Thoroughly clean with a dry or wet vacuum or use a towel or piece of cloth. You may wire brush the leftover-mold spot until completely dry, be careful to avoid putting spores on the air.
Take preventive measure to avoid occurrence
It would be best if you took measures to prevent black mold from returning. Always control the moisture content in your home. Regularly clean and disinfect areas prone to wetness and dampness. Timely repair any leaks, dry-wet items before storing them, and monitor airflow.
However, in the affected areas, avoid rinsing with water and adopt the tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract solution. Both ingredients have mold-fighting agents that help prevent mold’s and mildew’s return. Remember to shake the bottle of solution well, lightly spray the mold-infested area, and then allow it to air-dry.